Friday, July 31, 2009

A Nantucket Tale

I grew up listening to my father's tales of Nantucket mermaids. His father, Charles Taylor, was born and raised on the island and used to tell his children about the mermaids who would chase him down the beaches. These Nantucket tales fascinated me and so two years ago I embarked on a journey to rediscover my Nantucket roots. What a journey it has been! I discovered that the Taylor family traces it's roots back to one of the founding families of Nantucket and to Richard 'The Rock' Taylor of Yarmouth and to Thomas Rogers the Mayflower pilgrim! But perhaps the best discovery of all was of my Nantucket cousin. He was born and raised and still lives on the island. I have been fortunate to visit him and his family the past two summers. It has been wonderful to rediscover the island and capture it's beauty in my paintings. It is clear to me that I have sand in my shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment